Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Book Tag

I've been under the weather the past few days with bronchitis, but since I saw my doctor and have been taking antibiotics I am feeling so much better and thankfully energized! Thanks so much for all your well wishes!

Diane @ A Picture Tells 1,000 Stories tagged me with the "Seven Weird Or Random Book Facts Tag," and now that my mind is not drowsy from the codeine cough medicine the doctor prescribed, I'm finally ready to jump in and do this !

Please make sure to go by Diane's blog and see photos of her adorable grandson's, and read all the nice activities Diane does with them, but also her wonderful decorating tips and see all the wonderful items she finds at yard sales. Diane also hosts a fun "Trash To Treasure" blog carnival on her blog every Tuesday!

Before I begin, I have to say that I have always loved to read, and and that is why I think I love the Internet and blogs so much! Owning a computer is like having a reference library on every subject imaginable at your finger tips. Being on a computer has cut down on the amount of books I read, however, as I can't say I ever read an entire book online, and I'm curious - have you?

Perhaps in the future people will be taking their Kindle Reader device out of their pockets on the subway, or the bus, or as they sit down in their favorite cozy chair at home, and read the latest novel or daily newspaper that they downloaded, but I think I'll be left behind in that trend, as I love my hard copy books too much to give them up to electronic versions! But I also once loved my big old vinyl albums, with their covers that were works of art, and liner notes that you could read, and we all know what happened to them! It may be that newspapers are the first to suffer a hard copy demise as sadly subscriptions and readerships have been declining in recent years.

Author Stephen King has experimented to see if he could publish books online, chapter by chapter in PDF form, to see if anyone would pay to read them by installments, and it worked well enough that he is continuing to release some new works that way.

The most I've participated in online reading was through "Dear Reader," which I spoke about once before on my blog. It is my one of my favorite FREE e-mail book clubs. You sign up online for one, or more, of whatever genre of books you enjoy, such as fiction, non-fiction, good news, etc. Then Suzanne, the founder, will e-mail a five minute portion of the beginning of the book she chose, Monday through Friday, each day for one week only -- just enough for you to get the idea if you are enjoying the book, or not, and whether you would like to continue reading it. If you do wish to continue reading you can choose to buy it, by using your own favorite store, or through Suzanne's links, or reserve it in your local library to continue reading it for free! The following Monday through Friday Suzanne begins another book, and so on. I've been introduced to quite a few books I enjoyed through "Dear Reader" and the added bonus is that Suzanne always writes an e-mail message each day before the book chapter, and after awhile I felt like she was a good friend!

Suzanne has fun "give away" contests too --this week she is giving away vintage aprons and another give away of her famous home baked chocolate chip cookies! I've won two books in give aways, and I keep hoping I'll win her cookies one day!

OK -- Sorry for the digression -- on to the book tag!

1.) I love to read children's books and collect them. I blogged once about my affinity for Golden Books, and I'm always interested in the Caldecott and Newbery award winners, amongst other distinguished books in children's literature. I also enjoy collecting pop-up books, my favorite pop up artist being Robert Sabuda!


2.) Some of my favorite books have been a non fictional compilation of letters, diary entries, or memoirs, such as The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank, or Van Gogh's letters to his brother in Dear Theo.

3.) I read more non fiction than fiction as I like to learn new things, and of course my favorite cookbooks, as I've mentioned many times before.

4.) I still have my very first Brooklyn Public Library card that I signed when I was five years old, saved amongst my memento's. I still remember the very first book I read on my own beyond the "Dick and Jane" instructional readers we had in first grade. It was: "Little Brown Bear" by Elizabeth Upham. Do you remember your first book5.) I often fall asleep at night reading a book.
6.) I love to collect old hard cover books -- I blogged about that once too!

7.) When I find a non fiction novelist that I truly enjoy I try to read everything they have written. A few favorite authors are Elizabeth Berg, Sue Monk Kidd, Herman Hesse, James Joyce, Khalil Gibran, etc.
Hmmm, I guess I've read a lot more non fiction than I thought!

The rules of this tag are:

1. Link to the person who tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
2. Share seven random and/or weird book facts about yourself.
3. Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
4. Let each person know that they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.



I'll tag Cori, Tara, LisaB, Donna, Vee, Steviewren, and Betsy.

As always, no pressure -- only if you want to participate!
Thanks!

27 comments:

Nola said...

No, I've never read a book online; I like the actual paper book, the smell and the feel of the book itself. (I love the way libraries smell) I still HAVE all my old vinyl, and I love it the same way as the books (I buy old vinyl and books at garage sales and thrift stores). The photo of the birdhouse with the book as a roof was adorable.

Gina said...

I've only read one online book last year..(James Potter and the Hall of Elder's Crossing a Harry Potter spin-off!)
I've also listened to a few books on tape that were gifts
Aren't pop up books wonderful? what a lovely thing to collect!
I'd love to read 'Letters to Theo', I must get it from the Library..will also check out your favourite authors while there! Thanks for sharing Pat! Gx

Bo said...

Hi my new & dear friend Pat! This was such a wonderful expose about you & your love of books. I must say, the Dianne (spelled with 2 Ns) I alerted everyone about on my blog is not the wonderful Diane @ A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words... just to be clear...
Have a wonderful evening, ;-) Bo

Unknown said...

Hi Pat,
Sorry to hear that you've been feeling under the weather. Same here...sinus trouble!

I enjoyed your book tag...you always do a great job with all of your posts!

Thanks for the Dear Reader tip...I plan to check it out!

I too love kids books-as most teachers do! There is something about kids literature that is so much fun! I always used lots of literature in my teaching especially thematic units and author studies!

Have fun searching for books for that new grandbaby!
Diane

Unknown said...

Dearest Pat
What a wonderful list of books. No, have not read anything online so far..I LOVE to read and used to do lots of reading in the past. Sadly, my reading habits are really now confined to reading in the car, while waiting for the kids. Hope you have a blessed weekend :D

Betsy Brock said...

OK...this sounds like fun!

I have the painting of the girl in the yellow dress in my foyer! :)

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Hey Pat:D That was interesting. I have not read a book online...I would like to try one of the readers sometime. I'll play along...thanks for asking me:)

Vee said...

We just found an online magazine article from a magazine that John had loaned to a friend years ago...11 to be exact. We were both surprised. He did ask for it to be printed off, however.

Interesting tag...I enjoyed reading your weird facts and found myself nodding along. I will do this one day next week, I hope!

Darius T. Williams said...

Great post - tons of information.

Keep getting better!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Just A Girl said...

Hi Pat,
I'm glad your feeling better...I have a major migraine and sure would love it if you'd share some of that codeine cough syrup with me...it's my favorite!! OK, So I popped in to say "Hi" and let you know I got your tag...THANKS! It'll be fun, but I haven't quite read all your post...migraine...I'll check back in tomorrow and will read up on the details.

Get some sleep and take a tiny swig of that medicine for me. :) Ah! I can feel the sleep coming on.

Love,
Cori

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Pat, I'm so sorry you've been under the weather, and I hope you feel better soon! Loved reading your answers to the book questions and the lovely pictures that accompany them. I'm a big reader, and love a hardback book more than anything. I particularly enjoy histories and have recently read several fascinating accounts on the life of Andrew Jackson.

I was so honored that you came by to visit my blog and hope you'll free to come back and visit any time. I'm a big fan of yours, and if I can figure out how to get thre rest of the feed up, I plan to add you to mine. I've been having some difficulty, so it's half up and half down. Kinda typical of my life these days. LOL!

XO,

Sheila

Lavinia said...

Pat, what a literary soul you are (and have!). I recall reading many if not most or all of the book posts you refer to here. Fun book facts to know about you. I fall asleep reading books sometimes too...and sometimes awakened when they fall off the bed with a thud onto the floor!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Pat,

I love to read also but never have time now. I've never listened to a book on tape or cd nor have I read a book online. I guess I like the hard back books too. I have tons of books--can't part with them--and kept my sons "Golden Books" thinking I might have grandchildren someday.

Feel better soon!!!!
Rhonda

Tracy said...

Fun post, Pat! Being a life-long lover of books, this was great to read and appreciate along with you. I've loved going to the library as long as I can remember...always a special thing. It still is...I love the hush, quiet and all that knowledge and passion of words housed in one holy place. Love your list of books. The whole online/PDF book thing doesn't do a lot for me...I need the book to hold, it's all part of the experience. Though I read a great deal of news online, I still love having the newspaper to turn the pages of...I love the graphic of the birdhouse with book roof--that's my kind of place! ;o) Happy Day and Happy Reading ((HUGS))

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Pat, I enjoyed reading about your favorite books. Glad you are feeling better.~Melissa

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I have never read a book online..my husband reads a newspaper from his home town on line. I like to hold the book. I do most of my reading at night, in bed before I fall asleep...

Glad to hear you are feeling better! And in answer to your question....yes the How To Mosaic A Tray Book will be available after the holidays too....
Hugs,
Penny

Michele said...

I love this! I love to read too!!! I have a collections of children's books myself. I used to work in the children's department at Barnes and Noble and spent a lot of my money there.

I just remembered that I need to do that other thing you tagged me in. I'm sorry that i'm so slow!

Cynthia said...

So glad that you are feeling better.

Last Sunday I did something I have not done in ages - I stayed all day in bed curled up with a book as it rained. One of the best days I've had in a long time. I love reading and where it transports you and opens up your imagination.

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

This was a great post! I love books. I think I have told you before that I worked in the local public library when I was in high school. I have listened to lots of books on cd because of my long commute every week. I haven't read a book on-line. I guess I'm kind of old school. It just doesn't seem right. I love to hold books and carry them around with me everywhere. Last Christmas the girls that work for me got me a childhood book I had been trying to get. I cried like a baby. It took me back to more than 50 years ago as a little girl reading my little Twins book. I could smell the food in the book and the little girls made me feel so happy. Aren't books so wonderful!!!!

Alexandra MacVean said...

There are so many different types of good books...you have some good selections. I am reading the Diary of Anne Franke, besides the Einstein Dreams. :)

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Pat, Thanks for checking out my red tree decor' and your kindness. It's always great to hear from you. ~Melissa :)

steviewren said...

Pat, thanks for tagging me. I love books and can't wait to respond. Keep your eyes peeled. It will probably be this weekend before I am able to write it. BTW, I have a big collection of Little Golden Books myself. We'll have to dish about them sometime. I read your post about them a long time ago.

Strider said...

I hope you get feeling better soon....I miss the historical adventures around the city! Take care and rest.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling better, Pat! I'll definitely play, Pat... Yes, you are right, I do love books! Loved reading your post! (Also, that soup looks fantastic! I love butternut squash!)... Donna

Susie Q said...

What an absolutely wonderful post today!
I love reading and love bookstores.
There is something so special about being surrounded by words!

Loved your list...some I have read and some will go straight onto my list of must reads!

I am sorry you have felt under the weather...feel better soon! I hope you are able to enjoy the weekend!

Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

I saw one of those electronic books on display in Waterstones. Hmm didn't smeel like a book to me- plus it was hard and what if the batteries died while you were on the last chapter reading it at a picnic in a field? naarr I like real books too much.

I recently got hold of a book via Amazon marketplace I had from as young as I can remember. "Neddy Know Nothing". It must've come from Nan's house originally as my Mum was the sort who liked modern and neat and tidy. I think children's books are better illustrated (whatever happened to adult illustrated fiction?) and more magical than a lot of adult stuff. I have a little collection myself. (Not admitting to being a hoarder at all!)

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I *love* that you have your first library card! Imagine knowing at age 5 how special your bond with reading would be!

I've been on a bit of what I'm calling an "unplanned blog sabbatical" and happy to be back visiting with all of my friends. :-)