Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ireland

I've been fortunate to visit Ireland twice in my life, and over the next few days I'd like to share some pictures of some of the beautiful places I visited my last trip.

Ireland today is one of the most successful and richest in the European Union after Luxembourg. To read how this success came about in less than a generation read this very interesting NY Times opinion article.


When my husband and I visited a few years ago new home construction was booming everywhere, and many new immigrants were living and working in the country.

Many of the old time, quaint and charming, tourist sights still exist in Ireland, however. There are still some thatched roof cottages dotting the scenery, filling the air with a sweet-smelling peat fire that's burning in winter in the fireplace inside.



Above -- My husband and I standing outside an Irish cottage



Look close above to see a rainbow in the sky!


From Discover Ireland: "Ireland has a mild, temperate climate: Summer temperatures generally range from 60ºF/15ºC to 70ºF/20ºC. Spring and autumn are generally 50ºF/10ºC. Winter is between 40ºF/5ºC and 46ºF/8ºC. (Snow is rare, but showers can occur at any time of the year.)" We were visiting in the month of February

Above and two pictures below: Road signs in both official languages of Ireland, English and Gaelic. Language link at Discover Ireland




There are many friendly small towns and villages in the 32 counties of Ireland ...


...and many beautiful vistas of the "40 shades of green"



Next blog I'll show Blarney Castle.


Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I'm looking forward to your pictures. Ireland is sure beautiful :-) Rosie

Tara said...

Pat

I love the tour! We have friends who live in Belfast and my son is going to stay with them this summer! Can't wait to see the rest of your pics!
:0)
Tara

Louise said...

Thanks so much for looking in to my 'postcards from oz' blog. Would you believe I live in England and have never been to Ireland, not that I wouldn't want to, we just haven't got there yet, shame on me really as I have Irish ancestry! I have enjoyed your tour around this lovely country, I hope to make it there one day soon too. I have put you on my list of blog friends over on 'home is where the heart is' so I don't forget to visit you. Thanks again. x

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Thanks for taking me with you!
I've been posting Irish sayings~ I'm not sure I can say that I understand them all =D

Vee said...

It's been a little odd to read backwards, but what fun. Ireland is so green! My great-great grandfather was from Ireland...Tipperary, I'm told. I don't know how he could leave, but it was during tough times.

I love the cottage with the yellow door. I have a yellow door, but it's not that beautiful shade of yellow.