Saturday, March 1, 2008

St Patrick's Day Link Fun!


Since March is a busy month this year, full of events and holidays, I thought it would be fun to start listing all the St Patrick's Day celebratory links I've come across so I can get an early start on planning my celebration.

As I come across more links I'll edit this post to add them. If you have any to suggest please e-mail me or add them to you comments. Thanks!

My maiden name started with an O' so obviously I am partly of Irish descent, and proud of it! My Gaelic name's coat of arms is on the left If you'd like to see if your surname has a coat of arms try this Heraldry web site
St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17, his religious feast day and the anniversary of his death in the fifth century. The Irish have observed this day as a religious holiday for thousands of years.

The History Channel has wonderful information about St. Patrick on their web site, plus many other resources to explore. Rootsweb also has a brief history of the holiday.

Shamrock is the Irish Search Engine and Directory - Links to Irish Sites, Ireland

Ireland Of The Welcomes Magazine -- portrays the best of Ireland's history, culture and lifestyles to many people worldwide

Ten one minute lessons in Gaelic at One Minute Languages --scroll down on page to see 10 audio lessons in Gaelic -- the traditional language of Ireland.

A nice collection of Irish quotations, blessings, proverbs, and toasts here, and here. Many Irish proverbs listed alphabetically are at the IrishAbroad web site

Irish Artisan Crafts:


Buy Irish Gifts:
Searh for Irish blogs:


Blogs I've personally have visited and enjoyed:
Irish Traveler. --This blog is written an American planning a trip to Ireland - she has an extensive collection of links
Irish Sally Gardens -- Rebecca and Dan Hillman run a sustainable farm for their family in Ireland

St Patrick's Day Recipes:
The Food Network ,Krafts, Rootsweb, Fabulous Food,All Recipes, Better Homes and Gardens, Epicurious

ETA: 3/9 Buy authentic Irish Food:

Food Ireland

Parades:

Information about New York City's St Patrick's Day Parade - the 247 th consecutive year --Monday March 17, 2008

Information about 184 th annual St. Patricks Day Parade on March 14th in Savannah ,GA, on Friday March 14, 2008

ETA 3/06/o8
The Graphics Fairy web site has free victorian Irish theme clip art to right save to your computer. Look at the month of February and March for different images for personal use.

8 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I'll be heading to Savannah soon!
We always celebrate St Patricks Day- everyone is Irish!

Lenka said...

I start to feel so Irish now, after I read you post and check all links!Oh, I love it!

Tara said...

Pat

Off to work this morning but I am coming back to look at all your links! This is so fun!

I am an MC by birth, so I'll have to investigate!

This was nice of you to put together! Have a super day!

:0)
Tara

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I was going to mention Savannah....I just saw info on it today! What great links! Thanks..
Penny

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Thanks Sandi and Penny! I added a link to the Savannah St. Patrick's Day parade.

Louise said...

Thanks so much for the link to the Heraldry website, I hadn't yet discovered that. I am so excited to find our family name coat of arms on there, I shall post it on my home blog. My uncle has been learning Gaelic, he lives a distance away from me, so I don't know how he has progressed? x

Anonymous said...

there's a fun site of st. patrick's day ideas that are chic and stylish here:

http://charminglychic.com/chic-st-patricks-day-ideas

Anonymous said...

I always prefer to shop at Shop Irish to get Irish gifts.