This summer, actually this year in Colorado, has been an unusual one. In winter, spring, and most of this summer, we have been experiencing warmer-than-usual temperatures and extreme drought and wildfires, many caused by dry lightning. Normal snowpack in the mountains was subpar, and rainfall was low to nil.
Weather-wise, the West was in a "La Niña" weather system, and now we are told by meteorologists that we are headed into an "El Niño" weather system. These systems both have to do with the effects of Trade Winds and Pacific Ocean temperatures--you can read more about this weather phenomenon and how it affects different parts of the world at this link.
The North American Monsoon season usually starts June 15 and runs through September each year, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. This year, as weather patterns change, it has come later, and we are beginning to see heavy cloud formations every afternoon, bringing thunderstorms and rain to many areas.
Yesterday, the monsoon brought a powerful hailstorm to our area!
View the short video above.
One of our neighbors was hosting a baby shower at her home, so many of her guests' cars parked on our cul-de-sac. Happily, the hailstorm brought high winds, thunder and lightning, but the hailstones were not giant-sized, so they did not do as much damage as they could have. If you read a past post I wrote about weather in Colorado--this link--you can see photos of how large hailstones can become!
It looked like snow in August! I asked my husband to please push my pot of basil under our outdoor table to save it from losing its leaves. I have harvested the basil plants once to freeze for the winter, and this was my second growth. Fortunately, it survived!
The neighborhood deer enjoyed eating the bounty of leaves that fell on the ground from the hail, so they were happy!
Did I lose flowers from the hailstorm?
Not really, as you can see that
trying to grow much of anything here when deer frequently roam through our yards is a losing cause.
They seem to think anything growing is good to eat.
But how could I be mad at these adorable faces?
The twin fawns born in my backyard in June are growing up fast, and they will soon lose their spots when they grow their winter coats.
Will winter bring us a lot of actual snow this year with El Niño weather?
Time will tell!
I can also be found on
Blogs I link with:
Nature Notes, Home Matters Linky Party, Happiness is Homemade, Monday Morning Blog Club, Senior Salon Pit Stop, Talk About It Tuesday, The Happy Now Tuesday, Happy Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday 2, Wordless Wednesday on Comedy Plus, Wonderful Wednesday, Thankful Thursday, Weekend Traffic Jam Report, Thursday Favorite Things, Skywatch Friday, Weekly Wisdoms, Fantastic Friday, Farmhouse Friday, Crazy Little Lovebirds Friday Link Up, Dare to Share, Saturday Sparks, Saturday Critters, Weekend Reflections








27 comments:
That weather is crazy!
El tiempo está como el mundo, dislocado. Fotos geniales. Saludos desde España
We have been having warmer than usual temperatures and it has been really dry. Our wildfires have mostly been caused by people with disposable barbeques and idiots starting fires. Ugh!
Wow! That is crazy you got hail in August, it does look like snow!
It looks like the deer are very happy in your yard.
Despite your recent "snow" I'm so glad your basil and flowers - and the shower guests' cars - were no worse as a result! It does look pretty, doesn't it? I have to admit, I'm a bit concerned about what the fall season has in store for us! Have a good week!
I couldn't be mad at those faces, either. I am SO glad you are finally getting rain!
I'm glad that the deer could benefit from the haik and that your garden didn't suffer too much
Hail can be dangerous. Our neighbors needed home repair after a hail storm last year that thankfully left our house clear. Glad to know you also made it through.
Aw, it would be pretty hard to be mad at those faces for sure. Glad the hail wasn't damaging. We haven't had much in the way of severe weather this season and I've been so thankful. We usually get some pretty bad thunder and even hail storms in the summer but not this year.
The deer always seem so content on your property. Our son was in Denver over the weekend. I'll have to ask him if he got the hail where he was. Happy new week to you!
I know that rain is very, very welcome!!!
The weather is crazy, I saw some photos on facebook of large sized hail in Colorado. The deer are so cute, I always love to see them. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.
Crazy weather! I am glad the basil plant survived. The neighbourhood deer are beautiful!
This looks like such a wonderful time, especially with the neighbourhood deer visiting! :)
That was a lot of hail. Yikes. Pretty though.
Love your neighborhood. Beautiful.
Love the deer. So precious.
Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.
Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday, Pat. ♥
Very unusual. The deer are adorable. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada ❤️ 😊 🇨🇦
Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.
Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥
Yes, the weather get more terrible each year. Wow... I can't believe snow there. What comes next!? The poor deers, what will they think about.
Thank you for sharing your very interesting Post at MosaicMonday.
Greetings by Heidrun ❤️
...you need to be thankful for precipitation however you can get it and when! Those deer need to learn some table manners!
The weather has gone crazy, hasn't it?!
Lovely seeing your gorgeous twin residents again! How very cute. Have a great weekend, Pat! 😊
The front range of Colorado sure has wild weather. I saw your posts about the hail on social media.
Hailstorm is very rare where I live and the rare time that happened the size of the hail is smaller than a garbanzo bean, maybe half its size.
Worth a Thousand Words
I'll bet the kids in your neighborhood loved it. Snow day in August!!
That must have been a wild hail storm.
Love the sweet deer photos.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Extreme weather is becoming "normal". That was some hailstorm! I'm glad we haven't had any here. The could crush and break down my plants. Cute fawns.
Strange weather...we are having here in FL too! Love those precious fawns. Take care!
My friend in California says the same about the deer in her garden. She keeps trying to find plants they don't like!
Hailstorms can be so scary. We had a heavy one years ago and it sounded as if we were being attacked as the hailstones were so big.
Wow, that hail was really big. We’ve had unusual weather and I think that this is our future…
Post a Comment